Throughout my career I have had the great fortune of meeting many great individuals who generously shared their time and expertise in business with me without ever expecting anything in return- each of them in some way were business mentors. This has been instrumental in attaining a unique understanding and appreciation of Entrepreneurship. Likewise I have an uncanny habit of having new entrepreneurs cross my path at a time where they seem to be in need of my unique skills & knowledge of business. The Universe kindly offers me the opportunity to pay forward a debt that I otherwise could not repay and have the opportunity to mentor an inspiring new entrepreneur.
So what is a good Mentor?
My description; one who empowers & helps others to bring their dreams and ideas into reality in what ever way big or small.
After many years of being in business and studying all things entrepreneurial I have a Five basic principles about genuine Mentors.
Principles of how to be a Great Mentor!
- First you do not need to look for someone to help- strangely enough the Universe will ensure that when your services and expertise are needed someone will cross your path in need and will ask for help.
- Always meet someone face to face in person- first rule be human (this is extremely important never give help via telephone, e-mail and NEVER over a Zoom Call).
- Meet for a coffee in a neutral public place offering at least an hour of your time where both parties can end the session when it comes to a natural end. Always qualify when you have any uncertainty about any of your advice.
- NEVER accept any form of compensation for your time or expertise this even includes the price of a coffee. (Remember this is a simple one-off charitable exchange of an hour or so of your time).
- If at the end of your conversation the person you help wants to repay your time and expertise -simply ask them to follow these Five principles sharing their unique business expertise with a fellow Entrepreneur in need and PAY-IT-FORWARD!